We here at Trend Media Group are very excited to proudly highlight each month some of our brightest and most committed staff from our entire pool of superb employees who execute operations in 24 countries.
In this months spotlight blog, we introduce you to Vindra Dhanraj, Country Manager, Trend Media, Trinidad and Tobago. Let us learn more about her.
1.What five (5) words best describe you?
Organized, determined, dependable, diligent and logical
2. What piqued your interest in digital media?
Digital is disruptive and if you’re not for the change you can get left out like big brands like Kodak. In Trinidad and Tobago, it’s still called new media and a number of marketers are not sure how to use digital media and data to drive business growth. I welcomed the opportunity to drive the digital transformation.
3. With a predominant sales background, how has the marketing and digital marketing experience compared?
I’m in the company 11 years now; previously leading the Digicel Business Sales team for the last 8 years. I started the Digicel More brand in Digicel Business selling just SMS advertising and data analytics services and I knew right away this was the future of advertising. My background includes over 17 years of managing teams, project management, strategic decision making and planning skills, stock management, marketing management, customer relationship management, networking, product development, sales management, advertising, pricing, budgeting and corporate communications both in the public and private sectors. I possess a Masters with distinction in Entrepreneurship as well as a Third level Group Diploma with distinctions in Marketing, Selling and Sales Management and Public Relations. These all marry together so wasn’t a different world for me. I’m responsible for the revenue and EBITDA, so sales is still a heavy part of my plate. There is always something new in digital and you have to keep up.
4. What are some of the key advantages of a digital media source over a traditional one?
- It’s measurable because you have data to work with at the end of the campaign.
- You can get instant feedback, so you can tweak campaigns along the way with little or no additional cost to drive success.
- You can go live in seconds to piggyback off some current event traffic. Peak time is all the time.
- If you are looking for that quick offer to spike sales end of the month, you can get a campaign out the same day.
- Lower production costs.
5. What do you find most challenging at Trend?
Lack of e-commerce in the market to really track point-of-sale conversions
6. Who or what has had the biggest influence on your personal, and professional life.
God. I believe in doing the right thing because it is the right thing to do. I value my upbringing, morals and spirituality. I strive to do everything the best I can do it. My personal credo is “Failure will never overtake me once my determination to succeed is strong enough,” taken from the scroll from the Greatest Salesman in the World written by Og Mandino. That’s my approach to personal and professional life.
7. How do you balance life at Trend Media and personal life?
Oh boy. It’s tough. My days start with my alarm clock at 4.15am, I leave home at 5.30am and don’t close off until about 6-7pm while still checking emails throughout the evening. I also have a family, so I get into motherly duties in the kitchen as well as homework and revision with my son in the evening and then prep for the next day. It’s very tiring but I do have the support of my husband and we work both schedules to make it happen. I’m also a member of the Powerful Ladies Association and the American Chamber of Commerce where I Vice Chair the Trade and Investment committee and also a board director of the Digicel Foundation. I use those as my networking space. On weekends, I try to keep to family time. I keep thanking God I’m blessed with the energy to do so much daily.
8. What is your go-to source of relaxation?
I do abstract art when I can. I allow my creative mind to flow and it is so relaxing and rewarding. My son follows me into it as well so I do get some down time with him.
9. What is your current favourite mobile app?
Amazon…(J) I love to shop but in a busy world, you don’t have the time and patience to go through the racks. So I drop in the cart and ship out when I’m ready. It’s about convenience, value and quality for me.
10. What do you predict will be one of the main digital trends in digital advertising/consumption of digital media for 2017/18?
I think video in the digital space for both content and advertising. Consumers want information in the shortest time. They want it in a shareable format that can be viewed on the latest computers called smartphones. Video production costs will be more affordable for advertisers through this medium. Advertisers will be able to receive guaranteed video views and consumers will also get rewards for engaging them, so it is a win-win situation for all.